Welly boots are not cheap items of footwear, we need to look after them in a way that will really get the longest life out of them, a Welly Rack will help to make this possible.
- My number one reason, and this is a Biggy is the main cause that Wellington Boots can deteriorate. Wellies left in a pile on the floor or stuffed into a bag or cardboard box all bent over can crease & can cause the rubber to start weakening and crack or start to perish the rubber. Even if your boots are flat on their side, the angle the foot is compared to the length of the boot on the floor will cause an area to weaken. Storing your wellies either stood up, support by a boot tree (if required) or hanging from a welly rack, so the full length of the boot is free from creases will prolong the life of your boots. The same will apply to leather country boots.
- Another reason the rubber on welly boots will start to perish is if they are exposed to sunlight and extremes of heat or cold. Therefore, storing them away in the summer months on a Welly rack in the garage, utility or Boot room will keep them out of the harsh sunlight and in a cooler environment. For those of you that like to leave them in the car ready for the next dog walk be aware of those cold nights in winter. Your wellies will not thank you for being subjected to extremes of temperatures, so bring them in and keep them in a warmer environment.
- If your Wellies, Country Boots and walking boots all have a home they can call their own they will be out of the risk of danger from becoming damaged from that pile of equipment that has been thrown on top of them, when they’re not in use. There is nothing worse than finding your wellies with a hole in them from an incident. If you keep your boots in the same place, there’s a better chance you’ll find them in the pre-walk scramble to get ready. Gloves, hats and welly socks always like to go missing when you need them. Are you with me? – having your boots in their rightful place will give you more time walking and less time looking.
- Hanging your wet wellies up is a great way to dry them after use. It’s advised to give them a wash down after use, especially if you have been to the seaside, salt and wellies do not mix and will cause horrible streaking. Putting them out of the way on a Welly Rack will keep any mud you missed contained and stop your floor or boot area becoming a mess, it will allow them to be in a position that they can dry off. Instead of them being stuck to another wet welly. Remember if you got the inside wet too. Use some old newspaper to pad them out and help dry them off.
- If you store your wellies outside in a shed or garage, – my 5th reason why its a great idea to use a welly rack, is to stop any creepy crawlies making a home in your boots overnight, not only spiders but I’ve heard of people who found mice in their boots when they went to put them on. Hanging them from a Welly Rack is the perfect place to store your wellies and to stop unwanted visitors. A great welly rack can also be a great piece of personalised furniture. Like our Chester & Cooke welly rack. Our passion is personalisation, and it can make a real feature in your home, not to mention helps to tidy every thing away.
Our welly racks can be purchased in different sizes from 2 pairs to 5 pairs, with the option of a shelf. They come with the standard engraving of Wellingtons, or the option of personalisation. They start at £50 and can be purchased here.
While we are talking about taking care of your wellies another sneaky tip is to take care how you remove them. Prizing them off on the back step or with your other foot can cause stress to the heel, which leads to splitting. Use a boot jack this will be much kinder to your wellies and alleviate that stress to the rubber on the heel & not to mention your back, it will take all the heave-ho out of the performance. Our Boot Jacks have a handy leather strap to hang it from your Welly Rack, so you will always have it to hand, we have also designed it to have a children’s wedge so they can also take their boots off with ease.
Our Boot Jacks are £21.99 and come with 15+ different designs for you to choose from. You can purchase them here. They are great presents for Grandparents and for any dog owner or country lover. We can also personalise these at an extra cost too.
I hope you have enjoyed reading my blog on why a Welly Rack is a great idea to store your wellies, Some Wellies cost upwards of £300 so the cost of a welly rack to prolong their life will be a great investment I’m sure you will be very pleased to make. If your still not convinced why, not check out our gift set of a 2 pair welly rack and Boot Jack gift set, which will save you some money they start at £62.99 and they can be purchased here.
Thanks for reading ….. Liz x